Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cycling Weight

I once read that the optimal climbing weight is 2 lbs per 1" of height. So with the Alta Alpina as a goal I counted calories and went down from 148 (147-151 in 2009) to 136 (135-140 in 2010). Don't know if I got any faster on climbs but climbing was certainly easier. With Alta Alpina out for this year, no more counting calories.
***

Of course bike weight means alot, dispite what the huckster from Rivendale says. My Lightspeed is between 17-18 lbs, my steel GT is 22-23 lbs. Once up to speed on a hill (and there are hills in every direction in California) I can climb with the GT, but it takes alot of effort to get up to speed. Alot of effort compared to the Lightspeed that weighs 5 lbs less.
***

Of course there are now alot of bikes that weigh 14-15 lbs, but at a certain point duribility is important. I haven't ridden a carbon frame bike yet--something to get when I'm 60.

For planning for the Alta Alpina (200 miles, 20,000' climbing) I was going to start at 4:30am, so morning cold would be a problem, and in the "California Alps" afternoon thunderstorms are a fair possibility (2x in the last 7 years.) To these ends I bought a gram scale to figure out the lightest "additional clothes" I needed to take.


First I'm amazed at the basic weight gain from bareassed scale weight when getting ready to ride on a nice sunny day. The basics:



So just having the basics unless you are going to pull a thirsty eurotrash (no helmet) Lady Girdivia increases your riding weight by 9 lbs. Now I don't pick my stuff out with being a weight weenie in mind, and I'm sure there are lighter helmets (324 g, 8% of the total) or shoes (835 g, 21% of the total) out there, and you can ride with one bottle (748g, 19% of the total), but my stuff isn't close to the heaviest, so you might shave it down to 5 lbs and hope you don't run out of liquid refreshment.

And these aren't even the basics for a ride I'd do in the Summer months. I'd need to take along a tiny bag of sun screen, tums, endurolights, some food, and a vest.
Doesn't add much but we gain another pound, so now up to 9 1/2 lbs just to go for a warm weather ride.

So how about cold weather? Forecast for Markleeville, elevation 5802' today (where Alta Alpina starts in a month from now)
Tonight: Isolated showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. South southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.Monday: Showers, mainly after 11am. High near 56. South southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

And Markleeville is the "low spot" in the area, a little higher, during the day!

Point Forecast: 4 Miles SE Echo Summit CA 38.8°N 119.99°W (Elev. 8476 ft)This Afternoon: Snow showers. High near 39. Breezy, with a south wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
***

(While the forecast for the East bay area was 8-12 warmer.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. West southwest wind between 8 and 14 mph. Monday: Rain likely, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 64. South wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.)



So, unless a heat wave hits Markleeville it will be cold at 4:30am a month from now. To this end I'd need another 1 1/2 pounds of stuff, so now we have 11 lbs of clothes and food/ drink on the bike, and this isn't even adding in lights or rain pants, rain socks or a hat.
So 154 body & bike weight, but another 7% (11 lbs) to get ready for cold weather riding that is usually overlooked--and still 6% (9 lbs) for a moderate weather day.

No comments: