Friday, July 4, 2008

The Bikes

Original Gruppo Pumpkincycle Website http://www.geocities.com/pumpkincycle/gruppopumpkincycle.html

GT COURSE, 2007

853 Steel

Ultegra bike,which came in as a nice package and I didn't change much. King headset when cheap Tange Passage headset failed right away. Kestrel carbon fork. Rolls Classic seat, which I've put on all my bikes, and Time Impact pedals after I clipped out and went over the handlebars with SPD's.


Photo is of GT on top of Mt. Diablo with Rivendell rack and 15 watt bike stereo with power amp, lead acid battery and Blaupunkt speakers. Yes Grant, bike weight (+ 8lbs) makes a difference.

When I started climbing rides put on mountain bike gearing (x11-34, then x11-32) now back to a standard road bike setup with a standard 53x39 double chainring.


Long wheelbase makes it more comfortable than my Litespeed, but also makes it more sluggish. Also +5 lbs heavier than Litespeed, even without bike stereo.


Litespeed Siena, 2004

Oversized ti frame, carbon seatstays.

Started off as an Ultegra bike--but bike shop gave me credit for stuff I didn't want so I went to town. Unfortunately FSA Carbon Compact Cranks, 50/36 (small ring changed from 34 as dropping chain with smaller ring.) Campy Record seatpost and skeleton brakes (great!) which replaced temperamental Zero Gravity brakes. Deda handlebars and stem. Another good change was to Reynolds fork.

Love Mavic Open Pros w/ King Hub in the front. Train on Open Pros with Hugi hub in the back (x25) and for events switch back wheel to American Classic 420's (x27,) don't like American Classic in the front as get beaten up as too stiff and catches lots of side wind.

Small wheelbase, very quick bike, stable on downhills and almost as comfortable as my longer steel GT. Only bad thing is made during Litespeeds integrated headset phase.


Jamis Sputnik Fixed Gear, 2007

Steel frame, Paul Cranks (46x) and Paul Hub added to a rear Velocity Wheel (x17.) Usually use the American Classic as a front wheel, so I have one of the heaviest rear wheels and lightest front wheels. Miche setback seatpost. Campy Veloche skeleton brakes.


Jamis Quest w/ S & S Couplings (Added by Rex Cycling), 2008

Steel Frame

Mostly Shimano 105 Drive Train, Ritchey Components, FSA Gosamer Compact Cranks, Mavic Aksium Wheels

50x24 chainring, 12x27 cassette (10 speed)

As a value package steel bike I swore that I wasn't going to change anything like I usually do, and except getting another Rolls Classic saddle I've been good, even though the Ritchey ergo handlebars have a strange bend that makes them uncomfortable and the 105 shifters are sloppy (built for both a double & triple.) Though never test rode it, fits well and stable, though a little sluggish.

After S&S Couplings were welded on could have had an $$$ expensive paint job to match and blend paint by the couplings or $25. black bbq primer--I went cheap and opted for the latter.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours to pack into a suitcase or put back together. Photo on top of Mt. Diablo at 3,849', which pales by comparison to Haleakala at 10,029'. Hopefully one day it will also see the Italian Alps.

No comments: